I recognise that this is a bit of a departure from my usual Tuesday blogs, but I got tagged by the lovely @TheQuintessent2 on Twitter and this looked like fun!
1. What’s your usual Starbucks drink?
A hot chocolate. My favourite is the Toffee Nut version they had a few years ago but seem to have discontinued, although my little brother very kindly got me some of the syrup for Christmas so now I can make my own! Take that, Starbucks…
2. What does your work station look like?
At the moment, the sofa. Because I’ve let my actual desk become a dumping ground for just-washed clothes that I don’t have the time/energy/inclination to put away just yet. I really do plan on recovering it though, at some point.
3. All-time favourite food?
Pizza! Spaghetti Bolognese would have the top spot, but since I’ve gone veggie it’s sadly slid down the rankings.
4. Favourite author?
John Green—for his charity work and podcasts as well as his writing.
5. What do you think of open relationships?
I think they’re fine. I’m not wired that way, so it wouldn’t work for me, but if it’s working for the people in them then that’s what matters.
6. What’s your favourite video game?
Oof, that’s tough. Maybe Zelda: Breath of the Wild? Although if we’re measuring purely by time spent on it then probably The Sims.
7. What’s your guilty pleasure treat?
Salted caramel ice cream.
8. Your favourite movie?
Spirited Away, or The Martian, or Numb.
9. Favourite book?
I literally can’t pick just one. I know I didn’t pick just one movie either, but with books it’s SO MUCH HARDER. Daughter of Smoke and Bone is up there, so’s Northern Lights, also The Fault in Our Stars, also Uprooted… I’ll have to stop there, but I could keep going.
10. Best advice you’ve ever received?
I don’t know if I’ve heard it as advice, but I’ve always been encouraged not to be ashamed or embarrassed about the things that I love. If other people want to look down on something that brings you joy, that’s a them problem, not a you problem.
11. Twitter or Instagram?
Twitter. Although Instagram is growing on me, I’ve got to be honest.
12. Are you a desktop or a laptop person?
Laptop for writing, desktop for gaming.
13. What projects are you working on right now?
My YA contemporary story is approaching the end of draft 2, I just need to fight through these last few chapters!
14. What’s your favourite colour?
15. Did you get good grades in school?
Yeah, I always had a good memory and tended to pick stuff up reasonably easily, and I liked school so I worked pretty hard.
16. Dream job?
Author! Or editor. Or… both?!
17. Played any sports?
Football, for a brief stint as a small child. I also played hockey at university, although I don’t think it looked much like hockey when I did it! I had a blast though.
18. Do you have a degree?
I do! A masters degree in chemistry, and a PGCE.
I have dual nationality, English/Canadian—although I’ve only ever lived in England.
20. What’s your favourite type of blog post to write?
They’re all fun in really different ways. I like book reviews best I think, although I’m always a bit nervous about being too critical.
21. What do you like to collect?
Books and stationery.
22. Describe yourself in 3 words?
Hopeful, creative, funny.
23. If you were a rapper, what would your rapper name be?
The idea of me being a rapper is hilarious, andbutso I have no idea what my name would be.
24. Who was the last person you DM’d?
Josie Lea, who runs a blog that you should definitely check out if you like mine!
25. What’s on top of your wish list right now?
Right now? Pizza.
26. Sorting House?
Hufflepuff and PROUD!
27. How many tattoos do you have?
28. What are you most grateful for this year?
How incredibly cool my friends are, and how much I enjoy spending time with them.
29. What’s the best thing that’s happened to you this month?
Hanging out with aforementioned friends last weekend!
30. What’s the best thing that’s happened to you today?
Sat and read with some fancy chocolate when I got back from work.
31. What’s the best thing ever?
Ever ever? Maybe vaccines?
32. Favourite season?
Summer. I’m such a wimp about the cold, it has to be summer. Although, if I’m sufficiently wrapped up, there is a particular joy about crisp Autumn mornings.
33. Favourite holiday?
Probably Christmas, because of the whole spending time with my family thing.
34. What fictional character do you relate to the most?
Hermione Granger. I empathise with her love of books and rules.
35. Do you like surprises?
Yes, to the point where I’ll sometimes try to create or preserve them for myself by being deliberately oblivious about stuff that other people are planning.
36. What’s the biggest surprise you’ve ever had?
Probably when my now-husband proposed. I knew he was going to do it at some point, but I didn’t see it coming in the moment!
37. What surprise made you cry?
I don’t remember crying over a surprise, which is weird because I cry over almost anything!
38. What’s the best surprise you’ve ever given someone?
There was a birthday of my mum’s where my brother and I surprised her by setting up (with help, we were kids at the time) a projector in the living room, and making a bunch of popcorn, and we did a whole cinema experience thing without her having to leave the house. I think it was a surprise? I don’t remember the specifics all that well. But I do remember that she liked it! Despite my best efforts, I’m pretty rubbish at setting up surprises for people normally. I’m apparently very predictable.
39. Do you like muffins?
40. Do you cook often?
I go through phases. I do like to cook, but I get a bit stressed about getting it ‘right’.
41. What’s your favourite dessert?
Crème brûlée, or profiteroles.
42. Is there a dessert you dislike?
I mean, only if it’s done really badly. There’s almost no dessert that I dislike on principle.
43. Cake or pie?
44. What’s your least favourite food?
Hate mushrooms. They’re creepy.
45. What’s your favourite condiment?
Ketchup—I’m basic like that!
46. It’s 4am on a Saturday night, what would you eat?
Can I say pizza for a third time?
47. If you could teach a college class, what would it be called?
Critical Thinking: Please Do It (Ideally Before You Re-Post)
48. Best animated film?
Spirited Away (again).
49. What has a woman done or said to impress you?
50. The best thing to do on a first date?
Start with something like the cinema, then go for coffee or a drink. That way you’ve got a built-in topic to talk about if you’re feeling a bit awkward, and it’s easy to cut it short if you’ve realised the date is a terrible idea.
51. The worst thing to do on a first date?
Anything where you’re going to be stuck there if it’s going badly.
52. What’s the funniest pick-up line a guy could use on a girl?
My friend heard a great one when she was wandering around the gym the other day in search of a specific weight dumbbell: “Are you lost, or just looking for my number?” I mean, it didn’t work, but I think it was pretty funny.
53. Best comic book character?
Can I go manga instead? I’m going to do it anyway. Tohru Honda.
54. What are three things that are always in your purse?
Lip balm, pen, metal straw.
55. Favourite drink?
Rum and coke.
56. If you could play a historical figure in a movie who would it be?
I’d love to play Jane Austen!
57. Kittens or puppies?
58. Tell me your favourite sushi roll?
59. What kind of lipstick do you use?
A kind of dusky pink, most days. Sometimes I like a bright red though!
60. What kind of foundation do you use?
I’m more of a tinted moisturiser gal, and sometimes I can’t even be bothered with that.
61. Blow-dry or air dry?
Bit of both.
62. Who is your fashion icon?
I probably do have one, but I don’t know who it would be. I just kind of copy looks that I see around.
63. Favourite Disney Character?
Mulan or Moana. Tough call.
64. What are you doing tomorrow?
Gym, work and (hopefully!) writing.
65. A movie you laughed the hardest through?
I was in absolute stitches through the Fast and Furious Hobbs & Shaw movie last year.
66. A movie that made you cry?
Oh man, like, literally any movie. Pretty much just pick one.
67. If you could sing a duet with someone, who would it be?
Brendon Urie. I’m in love with that man’s voice.
68. If your life was a song, what would the title be?
Onwards and Upwards
69. What’s your favourite animal?
Love ‘em all, pretty much, but if I had to pick a favourite? Cats? Maybe?
70. Favourite illustrator?
Reza Farazmand, of Poorly Drawn Lines.
71. A person you want to have coffee with?
Lin Manuel Miranda. He just seems delightful.
72. What country do you wish to visit?
I’d love to go back to Japan, but if I was picking somewhere I haven’t been, maybe Iceland.
73. Best way to decompress?
A hot bath and a good book!
Have you answered the 73 questions? Let me know in the comments!
I’d love to see what you said!